On February 16, 2012, the FTC released a new Report on Privacy issues in Mobile Apps. There are good lessons to be drawn from the document, both for mobile apps developers and for companies that operate websites. What is true for mobile apps is generally also true for websites.
Among other things, the report recommends:
- Everyone – stores, developers and third parties providing services – should play an active role in providing key information to parents.
- Information about data practices should be provided in simple and short disclosures.
- It should be clear whether the app connects with social media
- It should be clear whether it contains ads.
- Third parties that collect data also should disclose their privacy practices.
- App stores also should take responsibility for ensuring that parents have basic information.
The full report is available at: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2012/02/mobileapps_kids.shtm